Robyn Wilson is the girl next door who is making waves in the industry with her incredible songwriting ability, vocal skills and unique perspective.
Turn on the radio and chances are the track you’ll be listening to is a love song about a happy relationship or one breaking down. Robyn Wilson has thrown that rule book out of the window with a love song to someone very special to her – herself! Happy being single and finding herself content not being in a relationship, ‘Love Songs to Myself’ is effortlessly catchy, glossy pop at its finest, whilst still having a an edge. We sit down with Robyn upon the release of the new single to talk all things music, self-love and songwriting….
-You’ve recently released your second single, ‘Love Songs to Myself’ how are you feeling about it?
I’m feeling good! I love the message behind this song so am so glad that I’ve had a really positive reaction so far. This is my first release since my single ‘Hotel Room’ in 2019 so it’s been a while but I can’t wait to continue to release music!
– Could you tell us a fun or interesting fact about yourself we couldn’t find from a quick Google search?
I got my first job when I was 16 at a leisure centre, sometimes I would DJ for kids parties which I loved because I’d always put on throwback music that I could jam to.. but the kids didn’t have a clue what I was playing.
– What influences have gone into your sound lately?
Dua Lipa, Sigrid, Olivia Rodrigo,
– ‘Love Song to Myself’ is a super empowering song born out of a hard time in the past, is it important for your music to be relatable to others?
100%! When I write songs I make sure they’re as real as possible, most of the time that’s extremely easy because they are drawn from personal experiences, so I like to think that most people will be able to relate to my songs.
– Could you tell us what this song means to you in your own words?
This song is all about discovering what self love truly is and learning that sometimes you just need to spend some time with yourself… A lot of people expect that if you aren’t in a relationship then it’s because you can’t find someone who likes you enough, which makes them constantly search for a boy or girl to spend their time with. It’s okay to be alone and put that same amount of energy into yourself!
– Who are some of your greatest musical inspirations & why them?
Taylor Swift, Kacey Musgrave, John Mayer. All of these artists are insanely talented songwriters which always stand out to me!
– Where would you like to see yourself and your music career in the next 5 years?
Within the next five years I’d love to release an album and be gigging a lot more!
– As a young artist making it through the world, what advise would you give to other young girls hoping to follow a similar path to yours?
It may be cliche but don’t change for anyone, especially just to get your music recognised. Write what you want. Wear what you want. Release what you want. Recognition will come with time, and when it does you’ll want it to be your true self that’s being appreciated.
– Lastly, what can fans look forward to next from Robyn Wilson?
I’ve got some more tracks lined up ready to release and I’m constantly writing, so keep an eye on my socials for new music!
Listen to Robyn Wilson – ‘Love Song to Myself’
Follow Robyn Wilson on: Instagram